Re: Please vote on the canvas accessibility proposal

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> So, are we also saying that fallback inside the <canvas> should always
> function as accessibility markup? If that is the case, then it means
> that as soon as there is markup inside the <canvas>, we have support for
> accessibility. End of story. don't read any further. :-)

That's more or less what I'm saying, yes, though more specifically, when
there is content in the DOM inside <canvas>, rather than markup on the
wire. What's important for ATs is what the DOM contains, and that can be
different from what's on the wire -- a hopefully common case in the future
will be for the page to have markup with legacy fallback, then the script
detects <canvas> support and replaces it with focusable/accessible
content. (This isn't done today since no browser actually supports this.)

Hence why adom="" is redundant -- the element's contents always fall into
one of these buckets, all of which should be read to the user by ATs:

 - content is empty (reading has no effect)
 - content is accessible augmentation of <canvas>
 - content is the only accessible alternative to the <canvas>
 - there is no accessible alternative and the content says so