Re: Please vote on the canvas accessibility proposal

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> if authors ignore the spec it is most likely that any content in the
> canvas will not be useful in the case where canvas is supported in the
> browser.

I don't think there's any evidence of correlation between authors who care
about conformance and authors who care about AT users. Do you have
anything to back this up?

> So the content should not be available in this case.

The point is that if the author doesn't care about conformance, there's
the possibility that the author will specify adom="" even if the content
is inappropriate for ATs, and equally a possibility that the author will
_not_ specify adom="" even if the content _is_ appropriate for ATs.

> If authors conform to the spec and provide accessible content in the
> canvas subtree, then it follows that they will set the adom attribute
> correctly, otherwise they would not be conforming.

If authors conform to the spec and provide accessible content in the
canvas subtree, then it follows that the adom="" attribute is redundant,
since the content will either be empty or useful for ATs.

So adom="" is either redundant, or possibly inaccurate. What's the point?