From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:13:24
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger<schwer@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>; Andi Snow-Weaver<andisnow@us.ibm.com>; <janina@rednote.net>; <jongund@uiuc.edu>; <cooper@w3.org>; David Bolter<david.bolter@gmail.com>; Steven Faulkner<faulkner.steve@gmail.com>; Frank Olivier<franko@microsoft.com>; <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Please vote on the canvas accessibility proposal

I am not going to vote on this because I haven't been involved in the
discussion and it's not my area of expertise.

But I have tried to follow the discussion in the meeting minutes etc.
so I have a few questions.

Assuming we have a very clever AT that interprets a canvas, could it
make it accessible without any further (or only little extra) hints?

Meaning: is the ability of being accessible really a function of the
author? Or rather a function of the actual markup of the canvas
combined with the capabilities of my AT? If it is the latter (and
that's my understanding), then marking the canvas with an attribute
that states that the canvas is accessible is not useful: only if my AT
is capable of making it accessible will it really be accessible.

Or in other words: I as a Web page author can only do my best to try
and mark up everything I can to help AT make things accessible. I
cannot ultimately decide whether something is accessible or not for
all combinations of browser/AT of a user.

Given this understanding, to me, the attribute honestly doesn't make
much sense. I am rather interested what extra markup we introduce for
canvas that will help AT make a canvas accessible. Then, if such
markup is available, and depending on how complete it is, my canvas
will be more or less accessible. A binary proposition on whether
something is accessible seems not very useful IMO, but I may be wrong
and misunderstand.

Best Regards,
Silvia.