Re: on SRT...

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com> wrote:
> I don't remember seeing anyone saying no to SRT. I do see a few people saying yes, and. Most notably to Timed Text. I'm one of those.

Well, some people don't see the point in SRT support and would prefer
to move straight to an xml format. I'm not one of them, btw, just
summarising another discussion.

> Obviously, SRT is simple to implement and to write captions in. We can agree that it's a no-brainer. However, speaking for a company that is shipping a Timed Text implementation, it's not much harder to build good-enough support for that, either. When you take into consideration the features TT offers relative to SRT (many of which, like styling, you get for free by being inside an HTML renderer), I think it would be short-sighted to say SubRip should be good enough. It'd look bad to lock captioning functionality to something so basic when we've been able to do better for years.
>
> In reality, I bet more content would be generated in SRT than TT if they were both in the profile. It's a quick and dirty format, and it's fine in most cases. But TT is also in use now, the tools to generate it are available today, and it gives people a fuller feature set that implementers can build iteratively, if necessary.

I agree.

> Timed Text, or at least some subset thereof, has got to be in the mix.

What do you think about smilText compared to DFXP? It has been
stipulated that smilText may be easier to integrate with HTML.

Regards,