Re: [media] Moving forward with captions / subtitles

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org> wrote:

>> <trackgroup> is used to group several tracks which are mutually exclusive.
>> Often they will have the same role="", but this isn't necessarily so.
>
> GF:  So role is *not* a requirement for <trackgroup>, correct?

Correct.

>> Your example with active changed to enabled:
>>
>> <video src="video.ogv">
>>  <track src="cc.en.srt" srclang="en" role="CC" enabled>
>>  <track src="tad.en.srt" srclang="en" role="TAD">
>>  <trackgroup role="SUB">
>>    <track src="subs.de.srt" srclang="de">
>>    <track src="subs.sv.srt" srclang="sv">
>>    <track src="subs.jp.srt" srclang="jp">
>>  </trackgroup>
>> </video>
>>
>> <track> is a void element (no end tag), if there any reason to think that it
>> would ever need child elements then now is the time to give it an end tag.
>
> GF:  I can't think of a reason today, but there may be reasons in the future.  Is it a big deal to require an end tag?  If not, I think we should require one now.
>
> Re enabling/disabling:  in the example above, the CC track is enabled by default while the others are enabled at the user's discretion.  Would it not be more logical, and more consistent with other attribute structures, to use markup to make this explicit?  That would require the use of enable="on" or enable="off" on each track.  Hmmm.  This is akin to SMIL's systemCaptions="on/off".  And that brings up the SMIL argument again.

"enabled" is a perfectly fine attribute. It only appears when the
track is enabled and disappears otherwise. Nothing to worry about - it
has the same meaning as enabled="on" or enabled="true",  just that it
doesn't hold a value because it is a boolean.