Re: Change proposal to replace @summary with <details>

Hi Cynthia,

On Feb 16, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Cynthia Shelly wrote:

> This is my change proposal for replacing summary with details, as we
> discussed on last week's call.  Please put this on the agenda for
> Thursday.
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Details_element_as_a_replacement_for_summary_attribute%2C_Feb_15%2C_2010#References
> <tableexamples2.html>

This is really intriguing to me, because I think the idea to recommend
<details> as a replacement for @summary has the potential to get a lot
of support from the full Working Group.

I do have one concern with my co-chair hat on, thinking about how
we'll handle this proposal in the full Working Group. This proposal
suggests to "Replace the <summary> child element of <details> with a
<button>. I would advise against including this change.

The proper elements to use for the captions of the <details> and
<figure> elements were subject to much discussion and controversy,
culminating in ISSUE-83, which drew a number of Change Proposals: <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/83
 >. In the end, ISSUE-83 was resolved by amicable resolution. The
amicable resolution was to adopt the <summary> and <figcaption>
elements respectively for <detail> and <figures>. The Call for
Consensus on this amicable resolution closed on February 11, with no
objections: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0344.html
 >. I note also that in much of the discussion on this topic, a key
consideration for many was to *not* reuse any existing HTML elements;
it was strongly preferred to mint new elements.

We can't change the name of the <details> caption yet again without
reopening ISSUE-83. Per the Decision Policy ISSUE-83 can be reopened
with permission of the Chairs, and the A11Y TF is free to request that
permission if the TF feels strongly about this change. However, I have
two requests:

1) If the A11Y TF wishes to reopen ISSUE-83, then please produce a
separate Change Proposal just for ISSUE-83. I think it would not be
good form for a Change Proposal on an open issue to have the side
effect of reopening a resolved issue. It seems to me that doing things
that way does not give due notice to the Working Group that the issue
is being reopened, or a fair chance to review the new proposal in
isolation.

2) Please consider the option of dropping <summary>/<button> change
entirely. I think it would not help the smooth functioning of the
Working Group for the A11Y TF to ask to reopen closed issues. It took
a lot of effort to bring ISSUE-83 to a successful conclusion, and I
would be very hesitant to reopen it, given the risk of damaging our
hard-won consensus on the topic.

There's probably more purely technical feedback that could be given on
your Change Proposal, but I wanted to make sure to highlight this
process issue.

Other than this one small point, I think this Change Proposal is a
very promising direction.

Regards,
Maciej