Re: [media] Moving forward with captions / subtitles

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 04:36:09 +0800, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
wrote:

> GF:  I prefer <trackgroup><track> as well--  grouping tracks by role
> makes the most sense to me. But I'm still confused about one thing after
> reading today's thread.  From this markup, it looks to me like
> <trackgroup><track> also would permit multiple tracks of the same role
> to appear simultaneously.  True?  Playing simultaneous tracks of the
> same role is still what I'd prefer (in addition to playing simultaneous
> tracks of differing roles, of course).

My idea is that <trackgroup> be used to group mutually exclusive tracks,
independently of their roles. I struggle to come up with an example when
you would want it, but if you wrap each <track> in its own <trackgroup>
then *all* tracks can be enabled simultaneously. It is of course up to the
author to make groups that make sense. Power users could override this
using user JavaScript or other browser extensions if they really want to.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer