Re: [media] Moving forward with captions / subtitles

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:19:09 +0800, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2010, at 11:06 PM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>
>>> This is exactly replicating what the wiki page already says, except
>>> <source>. Also, it adds the discussed stand-alone possibility of
>>> <track> with a @src attribute, which we had already discussed.
>>>
>>> Could we just stick with the naming as we have it at
>>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_TextAssociations ?
>>
>> I think calling the grouping element <track> is a bad idea when it in
>> fact doesn't specify a track but a group of tracks (each track in
>> <source>).
>>
>   But it does not represent a group of tracks!
>
>   The <track> element represents a single track in the presentation,
> which uses one of the <source> elements as its source of media data.

How would this tie into the MediaTrack API and the MediaTracks collection?
It is my understanding that each individual stream in a Ogg or MPEG-4
would be a MediaTrack. Would a <track> or a <source> represent a
MediaTrack? If it is <track>, how would one activate a single <source> via
the MediaTracks collection? Or is the intention that source selection in
<track> completely determine which <source> is used so that the only way
of switching between e.g. languages is rearranging the order of <source>s
and calling .load() (or similar)?

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer