Re: [media] Moving forward with captions / subtitles

On Feb 14, 2010, at 9:34 PM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> Complex case:
>
> <video>
>  <trackgroup role="captions">
>    <track src="captions.srt">
>    <!-- lots of tracks -->
>  </trackgroup>
>  <trackgroup role="karaoke">
>    <!-- lots of tracks -->
>  </trackgroup>
>  <!-- lots of groups -->
> </video>
>
> <track>s in a <trackgroup> are mutually exclusive while tracks in different groups are not. This is the only semantics expressed -- grouping doesn't have to be based on role. By default all tracks are mutually exclusive.
>
> lang="" is already inherited, perhaps we could do the same for role="" to that either or both can be specified on <trackgroup>?
>
> As long as native browser controls can find a suitable string for each track group, using the grouping in menus would be acceptable since usually there will be no groups at all and thus the common case doesn't suffer from it.
>
> Would this be an acceptable solution?
>
> Note: there is no <source> element in this proposal, because there's no need for it.

  I don't see how you will list alternate sources for a role. Can you please show an explicit example of how you list alternate tracks where you have "<!-- lots of tracks -->" now? For example, list four different language alternates for each of the roles you list in the example above.

eric