Re: Media Gaps Document--36 Hour Consensus Call

On Dec 15, 2010, at 7:13 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I think "widely used" was a fair assessment for SRT. All professional
> entities that I've known that use other formats are usually also
> capable of using SRT because it's so simple. Just saying "is
> implemented in some sectors of the Web-development community" is
> unfair because there are many professional entities that use it, too.
> They make no big fuss about it, but they support it. SRT support is
> more commonly found than TTML and I would therefore object to any
> representation that tries to imply the opposite.

  I agree! SRT is one of the formats that YouTube recommends people use when uploading captions that are not already formatted [1]:

If you do not have formatted caption data, such as a transcript that does not have timing data, we recommend using SubRip (*.SRT) or SubViewer (*.SUB) for generating formatted captions.

eric

1 - http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/2.0/developers_guide_protocol_captions.html.