Re: missing attribute/crowdsourcing (was Re: Discussion: Text Alternative Survey)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Laura Carlson wrote:

> Can anyone not live with the missing attribute/crowdsourcing option
> going back into the proposal?

I don't understand what it gives us that the spec doesn't already give us.

The attribute would indicate that the author had failed to provide the
alt="" attribute's value, right? But we already know that's the case,
since the alt="" attribute isn't present.

It isn't any more reliable than any of the other mechanisms we have,
either; people could accidentally put this attribute in (e.g. through copy
and paste), or could put it in due to misunderstandings (e.g. to shut up
the validator).

In fact, it seems like it would legitimise not including alt=""
attributes, which would be a significant step backwards.