RE: CFC re ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

I'm not particularly wedded to any syntax, provided its clear what it means. I like the idea of symmetry with src, and also having "incomplete" as a reserved value solves the issue of what to do if there is an alt attribute, and the author states that there isn’t.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory J. Rosmaita [mailto:oedipus@hicom.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:40 PM
To: Sean Hayes; HTML Accessibility Task Force
Subject: RE: CFC re ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

aloha, sean!

i agree with you that the repair technique should be in ATAG, but not every author uses an authoring tool (i still do my encoding by hand because i have yet to find an ATAG compliant authoring
tool) and such guidance should be addressed somewhere in the
HTML5 document suite -- perhaps as part of SteveF's advice on proper use of text alternatives document...

crowd-sourcing isn't a reliable solution today, and i think that crowd-sourcing would only work if there was a storage-and-retrieval system such as that which one can use to get metadata about an audio CD -- if you, as creator of that image, properly annotate it, then your metadata should be presented to me first (as the default metadata), and then i should be able to choose amongst other terser or longer descriptions...

so, no, as things stand today, with conflicts over metadata schemas i don't think that crowd-sourcing is a viable option, but i can perceive the utility in crowd-sourcing, provided that i am provided with a means of choosing which metadata -- if it exists -- i would like applied, with the author's own metadata as the default...

i think that there are also cultural considerations that need to be taken into account -- that was one of the reasons why i put up my photos on MyOpera page: to find out if there were significant differences in perceptions of a common image...  but, given cultural considerations, if i were from country X and spoke language Y, i might want to at least check and compare the metadata submitted from country X in language Y to ascertain that which would be self-evident to a sighted user from country x in language Y

so, no, i do not think that this is a viable option today or in the near future, but i think it is an approach that does warrant further exploration within the accessibility and standards community...

gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net