RE: CFC re ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

I have a concern about the crowdsourcing idea, I think it suffers from some of the same issues that chaals objected to in using metadata from the image. If the author doesn’t include the contextual reason the image is included in the page, then a 3rd party has to second guess the authors intent for that image use. There may be many interpretations of that image, but only the author can know the 'right' one.

If it's OK for a 3rd party Crowdsourcer to add "picture of black curly haired dog on white background" to an image catalogue, when the authors intent was "President Obama's dog Bo getting his first taste of snow on the Whitehouse lawn", then it should be OK for the image metadata to suffice too, since the metadata of an AFP/Getty image for example is far more likely to contain the latter than the former.

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Laura Carlson
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:04 AM
To: Janina Sajka; Matt Morgan-May
Cc: Dave Singer; Gez Lemon; HTML Accessibility Task Force
Subject: Re: CFC re ISSUE-31 Missing Alt

Hi Janina,

> I think any decision to postpone should be made by the TF during the
> regular weekly teleconference. I would encourage as much completion as
> possible on this alternative before then.

Matt, is the text okay in:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Lcarlson/ImgElement

Should anything be changed?

> We will also need someone to speak on behalf of this request.

As you know, I have to work during the task force weekly teleconference time, and can not attend the weekly meetings.

Matt, can you speak on behalf of the missing attribute and crowdsourcing idea?

> Please note the only reason this resolution did not move during last
> week's call is that we drew back from constructing the actual words of
> the resolution on the fly--during the TF call.

Consensus should not be rushed.  Sometimes, it requires more time to allow for the creative interplay of ideas. During these times, patience is more advantageous than urgent or aggressive behavior.

> There was very strong support
> for the substance of this resolution on the call, andthe WBS survey
> itself carried by over 91%.

I am please that there is strong support, but the closer we can come to consensus the better.  Any concerns that are raised, should be acknowledged and resolved if possible. Matt's voice on the subject might just address Dave's concern and maybe some of Ian's too. I don't know.

I'd like to strive to take into account everyone's concerns and try to resolve them before any decision is made if possible. Most importantly, I'd like to encourage an environment in which everyone is respected and all contributions are valued. People feel respected when everyone listens, when their ideas are taken seriously. Respect for concerns promotes the kind of environment necessary for developing consensus. Through consensus, we are not only working to achieve better solutions, but also to promote the growth of community and trust.

> My own personal view on this is that the tweaks you are considering
> probably don't need additional TF time, and might just as easily be
> accomplished in the HTML-WG. But, I am certainly open to the will of
> the TF  in this regard.

If adding the missing attribute as an option is just a tweak and everyone can live with it, I will replace the text in:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126

with
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Lcarlson/ImgElement

Laura
--
Laura L. Carlson

"If war is the violent resolution of conflict, then peace is not the absence of conflict, but rather, the ability to resolve conflict without violence." -- C.T. Butler