RE: HTML5 TF from my team

Hironobu Takagi wrote:

> Finally, one of my team members will officially
> join the HTML5 Accessibility Task Force.
> Masatomo has been working for the audio description
> project, especially for the experiments in Japan
> and in US with WGBH.
> He can be the bridge between the open source authoring
> tool work and aiBrowser on Eclipse.org.
> He is now checking resources on the Web.
> If you have any suggestion for our involvement (beyond
> the mailing-list), please let us know.
> We are looking forward to working with you.

Hiro, this is great news! Hello and welcome to Masatomo. (For those
unaware or do not remember, Hiro presented IBM Research – Tokyo's work on
descriptive audio using synthesized voice at the Face-to-Face here at
Stanford last November, as well he and his team were at the CSUN
conference in March in San Diego. It is - IMHO - wicked cool! A Word Doc
can be found here:
http://www.letsgoexpo.com/utilities/File/viewfile.cfm?LCID=4091&eID=800002
18 and perhaps Hiro you could point us to web-based [HTML] resources too?)

Masatomo, you might want to start by reviewing the draft specifications
that are currently under discussion:

	http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_MultitrackAPI
and
	http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_TextAssociations.

Silvia Pfeiffer recently wrote a blog post that is more easily readable as
an introduction, but as she notes it is not as technically accurate. It
can be found at
http://blog.gingertech.net/2010/04/11/introducing-media-accessibilit-into-
html5-media/.

There has also been a fair bit of discussion recently about choosing one
or more appropriate time-stamp formats to be referenced in the HTML5
Specification/Standard - this discussion is very much up in the air at
this time.

As well, while not officially 'W3C', the WHATWG has started collecting
examples of time-aligned text displays (captions, subtitles, chapter
markers etc) and is extrapolating requirements from these in their wiki
at:

	http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Timed_tracks
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Use_cases_for_timed_tracks_rendered_over_video
_by_the_UA

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Use_cases_for_API-level_access_to_timed_tracks

(I believe screen captures, etc. of your work with descriptive text would
be relevant here!)

Masatomo, while the Media sub-group does not often have conference calls,
the Chairs of the Accessibility Task Force have asked that we start having
them with some greater frequency now in an attempt to resolving some of
the open issues, as well as attach milestone dates to these issues in an
effort to move forward. Unfortunately, the key voices involved are spread
around the globe, so choosing a good time for all is difficult; however we
are trying to respect everyone's local schedules as much as possible.

We have a call scheduled for Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM San
Francisco time. To review local times, please see:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=4&day=28&year=2
010&hour=15&min=0&sec=0&p1=224

This translates to the following general times:

  London: Wed 11:00 PM
  Amsterdam/Oslo: Wed-Thurs midnight
  Boston: Wed 6:00 PM
  Cupertino/Mountain View: Wed 3:00 PM
  Beijing: Thurs 6:00 AM
  Tokyo: Thurs 7:00 AM
  Sydney: Thurs 8:00 AM

Finally, if you want more background, feel free to read up on past email
threads at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/  or ask
questions here.

Welcome aboard!

JF
John  Foliot
Program Manager
Stanford Online Accessibility Program
http://soap.stanford.edu
Stanford University
Tel: 650-862-4603

Co-chair  HTML5 Accessibility Task Force (Media Sub Group)
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/html-task-force