Re: [media] WHATWG started requirements collection for time-aligned text

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I just wanted to make you aware that the WHATWG has started collecting
> examples of time-aligned text displays (captions, subtitles, chapter
> markers etc) and is extrapolating requirements from these in their wiki
> at http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Timed_tracks ,
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Use_cases_for_timed_tracks_rendered_over_video_by_the_UA
> and
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Use_cases_for_API-level_access_to_timed_tracks.
>
> If you have any good examples (screenshots of real-world applications)
> for further requirements that are not currently listed there but are
> required on the Web, please contribute. You can just email your examples
> into this email thread here and I will be happy to contribute it to the
> WHATWG if you don't know how to get it there yourself.

I've also been going through a lot of the e-mail on the topic that has
been sent to this list over the past few months. The work that has been
done so far in Silvia's change proposals is the main source of information
that I'm using in terms of what we need to provide. I hope to have a first
draft of that integrated with the spec in the coming weeks.

As Silvia says, now would be a great time to bring up any real-world
examples of use cases, to make sure that everything that people actually
do with timed tracks get handled here.