Re: RESOLUTION to modify text alternative change proposal and reject WAI CG's consensus recommendation

On 08/04/2010 23:43, Cynthia Shelly wrote:
> First, on the resolutions... Those are F2F resolutions, which are to be discussed on the list this week, with final resolutions made at the telecon on Thursday morning next.
> I'll let Janina, Mike and Michael speak to that in more detail.

Yes.

> Second, on the proposal itself.  My main worry about warnings is that, particularly in HTML 5, there are an awful lot of warnings, about an awful lot of things which are far less important than alt text.

Yes, that is a concern that many of us share. It is completely valid as
there are many far more minor infringements that have /mere/ warning
status. So we don't want this important information to be lost amidst
lesser concerns.

> I worry about the teachable moment being lost is a sea of less important warnings.

That is also a big concern and we all appreciate that this has been an
important (if not indeed vital) part of the role of the checker and
raising awareness among developers.

> For example, the TF also just agreed to not fight a warning when @longdesc is included.
> So, you will get the same sort of warning for using longdesc as you will for not using alt.

That's a very interesting point, that I certainly haven't considered. We
will have to talk about this in greater detail.

>Is using longdesc instead of aria-described-by even close to on par with not using alt?  No.  It's not.  Not even close.   But how is a developer to know that?

All very good points, and definitely worth further discussion. This
could also impact on greater questions such as the role of conformance
checkers, the status of warnings and how they are perceived. Maybe the
warnings themselves need a gradation etc.

Cheers

Josh