Von: Robin Berjon [mailto:robin@w3.org]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 25. September 2014 11:50
An: Mies, Stefan; a.d.herrington@gmail.com; Felix Sasaki; Fabio Carneiro; Thomas Schauf; Charles McCathie Nevile
Betreff: Re: AW: Re:Htmail Standard?

On 25/09/2014 11:36 , Mies, Stefan wrote:
> @Robin, could you explain how we could start to build a first
> description of a HTML5 Email DOM and define dependences to CSS or
> other sources?

I think that you want to split the problem into small pieces that can be worked on as independently of one another as possible (as opposed to a monster "HTML Email" spec).

The first thing that I would think useful would be a specification of how HTML gets transformed before it is rendered in a MUA. I guess that this might involve both character-level transformations (or byte level) and DOM-level transformations (but that occur before anything is ever shown in a browser or rendering engine). That would already get a lot of issues out of the way.

The second one would be to define which CSS properties are dropped on the floor. And possibly how images may get loaded (or not).

There were threads about what goes on in those steps on the list, they might be a good start. At any rate if someone starts specifying the transformation algorithm I'm sure there will be technical feedback. A reference JS implementation to go with would also help but isn't required.

After that, once that solid foundation is in place, looking at enhancements can happen much more easily.