De : Rémi (HTeuMeuLeu) [mailto:remi@hteumeuleu.fr]
Envoyé : jeudi 30 janvier 2014 13:17
À : public-htmail@w3.org
Objet : Re: identified focus areas

Hello,

This is my first participation in a W3C community group. And as a front-end developer, I think I can bring some help regarding this topic that have caused, and still causes me many headaches. I'm not exactly sure how to start the conversation here, so I'll start with this little rant.

HTML e-mail coding is the nemesis of most front-end developers and webdesigners. I, on the contrary, have this extraordinary ability to tolerate it, and even sometimes enjoy the mess that is HTML e-mail coding. HTML e-mails are a very important marketing and branding tool, even in this age of social networks. Yet, it seems like it is stuck in a dark age, like web development used to be more than ten years ago, before CSS became widely adopted. The biggest point of concern that come to my mind  is CSS support .

CSS support is hazardous. Except from basic text based properties (font-size, font-family, etc.), other properties tend not to have a wide enough support to safely code complex layouts. And sometimes, webmails can unpredictably remove support for some properties for no apparent reason. For example, in january 2013, Outlook.com stopped supporting the margin property (http://www.emailonacid.com/blog/details/C13/emailology_outlook_marginalizing_css_properties), stripping it from the code before being displayed in the webmail. This means that we still need to rely heavily on tables for layout, which in turns become a headache for responsive e-mails. Campaign Monitor has a good overview of support in email software and webmails (http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/).

The proprietary nature of webmails and most mail software also tends to be a big problem, because it leads to difficulty for testing, and for understanding some terrible bugs. For example, Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013 use Word HTML rendering engine, which cause to create "page breaks" every 1790px, which can completely break a layout (http://www.emailonacid.com/blog/details/C13/horizontal_spacing_issues_in_outlook_2007_and_2010).

My expectations from this working group is to understand why webmails or mail software have such a bad support for web rendering, and to help make the situation evolve. This is clearly a lengthy project, just like the advocacy for CSS usage in the early 2000. Such a project was already started in 2007 (http://www.email-standards.org/), but with fewer expectations, and abandonned since 2010. But it needs to be done at some point, or we'll be stuck in this dark age of HTML emails forever.

Rémi

Information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential, and may not be copied or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor disclosed to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to create any legally binding contract or other binding commitment through the use of this electronic communication unless it is issued in accordance with the Experian Limited standard terms and conditions of purchase or other express written agreement between Experian Limited and the recipient. Although Experian has taken reasonable steps to ensure that this communication and any attachments are free from computer virus, you are advised to take your own steps to ensure that they are actually virus free.

Companies Act information: Registered name: Experian Limited. Registered office: Landmark House, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG80 1ZZ, United Kingdom. Place of registration: England and Wales. Registered number: 653331