Re: Proposal: Generalized Cascading Sheets

Hello Daniel,

Thursday, July 30, 2015, 10:28:57 AM, you wrote:
> I think the CSS general syntax, because of its high readability and
> rather flat learning curve, will reach territories beyond styling in
> the near-term future. One of the areas the CSS syntax does not cover
> yet, despite of my "ancient STTS proposal" quoted above, is simple
> tree transformations. XSLT has always been a super-powerful but also
> super- complex technology and I think it's only a question of time
> before a replacement language based on the CSS syntax appears.

> We have almost everything we need for it,

Agreed (with the "almost").

> if you except a selection
> mechanism for non-element nodes that is already under discussion in
> www-style (even if there is some rather strong resistance to it).

To my mind, the resistance to things like selectors for attributes is
caused by several of:

- people worried this ends up in CSS-the-language, or
- people worried about spending time on things that css-the-language
doesn't need

Formalising GCS vs. CSS could add clarity to such debates.

> Houdini is crucial and a cornerstone of the future of the Web. We
> need to provide access to the CSS lexer and parser and we need to
> make them grok properties and values that are outside of the current
> CSS space.

Yes, absolutely.

--
Best regards,