Re: [font-metrics-api] font data versus typographic layout results

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 13:46:20 +0200
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, Peter Krautzberger <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org>
CC: "public-houdini@w3.org" <public-houdini@w3.org>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Hello Alan, Peter

(again apologies for the delayed reply)

> On 7/30/15, 7:15 AM, "Peter Krautzberger" <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org>
>>It looks like this would provide some global font metrics, but not the
>>metrics of individual characters/strings. Is that correct?
>>
>>That would be helpful, particularly the baseline information, but it
>>would not be sufficient for a use case like mathematical layout.

> Not global - it’s giving the results from the first line box.

Would there be a way to iterate over the line boxes, under your
proposal?

>  But you are
> correct, this would not be sufficient for mathematical layout. It’s a step
> towards what you need, satisfying simpler use cases.

I agree it might satisfy simpler use cases, but unless it is
extensible to cover the mathematical layout use case it is not a step
towards enabling it - it is a step in a different direction that does
not address the use case.

--
Best regards,
 Chris  Lilley