Re: Custom Layout and Inadvertent Style Updates

From: Ian Kilpatrick <ikilpatrick@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 17:05:22 +1000
To: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org>, public-houdini@w3.org
> Sure, once we have a "custom layout event", we won't need that part, I
agree with you. Still...
> (If your polyfill waits for a real layout, how do you keep up with
multiple polyfills acting one after another? That seems hard to me.)

One idea for extending layout is that the layout-polyfill for say "mygrid"
runs in a separate script context, and only has access to the
"fragment-tree". E.g. it doesn't have access to the traditional DOM. You
are only allowed a custom layout per node of the tree, and you can only
position / measure you decedents (or maybe only direct children).

We don't want to end up in a state where its easy for authors to create
dependency cycles with layout.

I can delve into a little more detail if you like, but these are only very
raw ideas. ;)

Ian