From: Matt Wolenetz [mailto:wolenetz@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:13 PM
To: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Cc: Jerry Smith (WPT) <jdsmith@microsoft.com>; Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>; public-hme-editors@w3.org
Subject: Re: MSE V1Editorial issues

Inline:

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com<mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>> wrote:

> I'll update VPQ details (#69)

https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/69

Matt: Getting agreement on the handling of the MSE “features at risk” is now the “long pole” on figuring out how to do a Proposed Recommendation CfC.  Please do this ASAP so others have time to respond.

I've posted my response to #69 (VPQ): https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/69#issuecomment-236024589

Jerry, Mark:  Please watch for Matt’s update and respond ASAP.

>The following features are at risk and may be removed:

  *   The appendStream<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#widl-SourceBuffer-appendStream-void-ReadableStream-stream-unsigned-long-long-maxSize> method on the sourceBuffer<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#sourcebuffer> object and algorithm steps that are used only by it.
  *   The VideoPlaybackQuality<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#videoplaybackquality> object and the HTMLVideoElement Extensions<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#htmlvideoelement-extensions> that use it.
  *   The totalFrameDelay<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#widl-VideoPlaybackQuality-totalFrameDelay> attribute on the VideoPlaybackQuality<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#videoplaybackquality> object.
  *   The TrackDefault<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#idl-def-TrackDefault> object and its related objects, attributes, methods and algorithms, including: TrackDefaultList<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#idl-def-TrackDefaultList>, SourceBuffer.trackDefaults<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#widl-SourceBuffer-trackDefaults>, Default track language<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#sourcebuffer-default-track-language>, Default track label<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#sourcebuffer-default-track-label>, and Default track kinds<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#sourcebuffer-default-track-kinds>. Implementations still must at least include trivial versions of these default track language/label/kinds algorithms that are used by the initialization segment received algorithm<http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#sourcebuffer-init-segment-received>. These trivial versions would behave as follows: Trivial default track language and Trivial default track label algorithms must return an empty string, and Trivial default kinds algorithm must return a sequence with a single empty string element in it.

I believe we have consensus to remove the appendStream method.  Issue-69 is about the VideoPlaybackQuality object and the totalFrameDelay featrues.  See above.

Where do we stand on the TrackDefault object?  We discussed it at the last meeting but it was not obvious if we have two implementations since it is not yet implemented in Edge.

http://www.w3.org/2016/07/19-html-media-minutes.html

Jerry, can you please respond on this?  Our test suite is woefully failing across the board for all but Chrome (apart from the IDL issues for Chrome which are also failing at the moment -- I'm working to fix that too). TrackDefaults certainly seems at risk, though IMHO it belongs in MSE much more than VPQ.

/paulc