Re: Multi-layered Knowledge Representations for Healthcare (was RE: An argument for bridging information models and ontologies at the syntactic level)

Hi Vipul,

I agree with you below, except I think it's peoples' "interpretation" of
the RIM that causes the confusion, e.g. "The focus of the RIM classes
had primarily been structure and not semantics." Since RIM is
communicated in UML, UML semantic rules apply, and one needs to be
strict on the UMLsemantics  in order to interpret the RIM.

Probably, confusion is also caused by sloppy text definitions in the RIM
classes that don't exactly correspond to the UML meanings. Also, sloppy,
lazy speech and writing (I'm guilty here).

One way to think of "structure" is to think of the "structure" of a
definition in a dictionary, i.e. meaning one, meaning two, etc. Then
think of UML as another kind of structure for definitions, i.e. a class
representing a concept sets up a definition structure of attributes,
associations, and state transitions that define the concept (analogous
to the linguistic structure of "meaning one" in a dictionary).

I think that revisiting the RIM definitions and RIM UML diagrams and
rethinking of them as complementary "definitions of concepts" rather
than introducing set theory and other data management tasks into the UML
interpretation would be helpful.

Dan