Re: An argument for bridging information models and ontologies at the syntactic level

Hi Chimezie,

It may be helpful to examine what "data" means and what "measurement" means.

There is a kind of classification system that is used in medicine.

The "process of living" includes many hundreds of thousands of
sub-processes that must work in harmony for the individual to remain alive.
These sub-processes each have a "status" at a given point in time.
We can perform measurements that give us data about the status of the
sub-processes. However, the data is meaningless without interpretation:
Are the values we receive from measurement free of error? Most tests
will guarantee that the data is only 95% free of significant error.
If the value can be assumed to be free of error, does the value
represent a significant change in the state underlying process being
measured?
If the state of the underlying process is significantly changed, does
the change represent "dis-ease" or does the change just represent a
"variant of normal," i.e. a temporary normal abberation in a processes?
Note that there is not always agreement about when a variance of normal
process function actually constitutes a disease or "diseased process."
Of course, life is only compatible with relatively minor abnormalities
in body processes. Major abnormalities lead to immediate death.

So we are left with some important concepts that need to be fit into an
ontology that is useful to scientists and clinicians.

"Living is a set of processes; disease is a slightly abnormal process in
the midst of many normal processes. We only know about these slightly
abnormal processes by making measurements of some sort that proxy for
the "state of the process." Usually, one kind of measurement is not
sufficient to tell us much about the status of a processes. From a
series of different kinds of measurements, one can make conclusions
about whether the state of the process is permanently abnormal or just
transiently abnormal. One can make conclusions about whether the process
is becoming more abnormal or becoming more normal."

Now with this perspective, perhaps you can better describe how a disease
is different than data?

Dan