Re: Use of xml:base of in XHTML family documents

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 17:38 -0400, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> I don't follow the rational for the language in the new Base URI
> appendix that says:
>
> "Other XML documents may use XML Base. This is only recommended when the
> specific document format permits the use of XML Base. Specifically,
> xml:base should not be used with XHTML family documents."
>          ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is WRT to the thread [1] on xml:base in XHTML.  I have a problem
> with this.  In particular the last sentence can't be enforced by any
> specification I know of.  The use of xml:base in an XHTML document may
> result in an invalid XML document (WRT XHTML DTD's) but that is quite
> different from discouraging this explicitly (I don't think GRDDL should
> be doing this).

Indeed, we're resolved not to specify anything beyond what
other specs already provide.

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/issues#issue-base-param
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-grddl-wg/2006Dec/att-0072/GRDDL_Weekly_--_20_Dec_2006.html#item12

Lacking any specific proposed changes, I struck the
offending sentence.

http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#base_misc 1.273

I'm interested in hearing from one or two others on this topic.
Jeremy is on holiday. I wonder if John can provide independent
input or if he's within spitball-range of chime ;-)