RE: [issue-dbooth-3] Identity transformation

> From: Dan Connolly [mailto:connolly@w3.org]
>
> On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 14:56 -0400, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
> wrote:
> [...]
> > IDENTITY TRANSFORMATION PROBLEM
> > As a GRDDL transformation author, I wish to write an unambiguous
> > identity transformation, such that for any given representation R,
> > served from URI U, the GRDDL result of the transformation
> > is a single RDF assertion of the form:
> >
> > 	U myns:says R.
> >
> > At present, the GRDDL spec does not permit me to write such a
> > transformation to produce correct results
>
> True. GRDDL doesn't solve all problems. It's fine by me
> that it doesn't solve this problem.

But this is not only a problem for the entire document.  The same
problem also exists for *portions* of the XML document -- even small
portions.  The problem applies to *any* portion whose corresponding
XPath Node tree could vary depending on the parser.

Thus I cannot reliably write correct, unambiguous GRDDL transformations
that wish to do coarse-grained transformations of XML to RDF, as
described here:
http://dbooth.org/2007/rdf-and-soa/rdf-and-soa-paper.htm#granularity

That sure seems like a problem to me.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.