Re: Review of GRDDL Documents and Issues (intro)

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 17:12 -0400, Murray Maloney wrote:
>  http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec
[...]

> 1. Introduction: Data and Documents

I mixed your suggestions into 1.96.
 http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#intro

I think you made further suggestions on the intro in subsequent
messages; I'll get to those presently.

Some specific points...

>         There are many ways to look at the content of XML documents
> that
>         exist on the web.

I think it's worth including XHTML in the 1st para.

>         How, for example, does software discover the author of a poem,
>         spreadsheet and an ontology? And how can software determine
> whether
>         authors of each are in fact the same person.

I particularly liked that bit; it stresses RDF's strengths.

>         The RDF framework includes an XML concrete syntax and an
> abstract syntax.
>         Software tools that use the Resource Description Framework
> naturally prefer
>         to work with documents whose data is encoded using RDF/XML.

Actually, lots of software that can do RDF actually prefers
something other than RDF/XML.

I softened it to..

| Software tools that use the Resource Description Framework
| naturally work with documents whose data is encoded using RDF/XML.

This next para is too strong, to the point that it's incorrect;
I'd like to find words that are correct and capture the
gist, but for now, I just deleted it:

>         There are essentially three parts to using GRDDL. Firstly, an
> XML document
>         must identify itself as a candidate for use by a GRDDL-aware
> processor.

Not really; it can just refer to a namespace document; the namespace
document can be made GRDDL-happy after the fact, even.

>         Secondly, the candidate document must provide a link to one or
> more decoding
>         algorithms.

Either directly or indirectly.

>  Thirdly, the GRDDL-aware processor must traverse the link and
>         execute the target in order to yield the resulting RDF.

That refers to "GRDDL-aware processor" as if it had been introduced
earlier. It hasn't. I have in mind to write an appendix about
a sample implementation of GRDDL, but until then, I prefer
to stay silent about processors.