RE: Comments on Primer draft

Thanks Danny for a great review.

Danny wrote:

> Noticeable for its absence is an example of the triples
> obtained by passing a profile through data-view. Maybe
> include a sample towards the end of "Referencing Via Profile
> Documents".

Yes I'd like to add this but I think perhaps it should be in the next
version.

> It probably isn't essential for this release, but it would be
> good to see an example of a source format other than XHTML
> (reminds me I really must finish that Atom XSLT...)

Me too. Another next version thing.

> The material ends rather abruptly - could do with a line of
> conclusion and described links for further reading (in
> addition to the formal references).

Hmmm. I'll have a go at writing something. But I'm not sure it's
essential for the first draft. Certainly for the next draft.

> *** Abstract ***
> "a mechanism for getting RDF data out of XML documents"
> doesn't sound right - maybe "a mechanism for obtaining RDF
> data from XML documents"..?
> s/appropiate/appropriate

Updated draft with these suggestions

> *** Introduction ***
> I think this could start more gently, I really don't know,
> maybe some of it could be moved later in the doc..? It should
> at least be possible to appeal to the microformat's target
> audience a little more, maybe add at the start something
> like: "GRDDL gives content providers a means of including
> explicit data in their documents, using their current formats
> and in many cases without significant changes to the markup.
> For consumers of Web data, it offers a more dependable (?)
> mechanism than screen scraping".
>
> "address very separate and often orthogonal problem spaces" -
> I'd drop "very"

Agreed. I made this change.

> "The enduring conversation thread on embedding RDF in XHTML"
> - although this makes a lot of sense to people that have been
> around RDF a while, it may be confusing to anyone else, I'd
> be tempted to drop the sentence.

Done.

> "In this document the term HTML is used to refer to the XHTML
> dialect of HTML." - Which dialect of XHTML? (sor-ry ;-)

:)

> Near end of Introduction I think it could do with a sentence something
> like: "GRDDL works through associating transformations with
> an individual document either through direct inclusion of
> references or indirectly through profile documents.

Nice text. I added it and reworked the 4th paragraph a bit to be
consistent.

> *** Linking to a GRDDL Transform ***
>
> Seems a little confusing saying there are a number of ways of
> making the association, then giving example code without an
> association - maybe shift first para after HTML?

I think that paragraph serves to introduce the section which then
proceeds to go step-by-step through the process of adding the link. I'd
prefer to keep it in the present order. What do the other WG members
think?

> One-line definition of microformats might be an idea -
> "(Microformats [http://microformats.org] are simple
> conventions for embedding semantic markup for a specific
> domain in human-readable documents)

Yep. Done.

> Add link on hCalendar to http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar

Done

> "The simplest method for authors of HTML content is to embed
> a reference to the instructions using a link element in the
> head of the document." - s/instructions/transformation
> instructions...? Or "processing instructions"?

I've changed to transformation for consistency. But I'm of the general
opinion that transformations are a subset of instructions, which I guess
I'm using to mean algorithms. GRDDL isn't just about XSLT and it's hard
for me to associate the concept of transformation with the notion that
javascript could be extracting the RDF.

> Probably needs something like an italic note below the diagram saying:
> "Although it's convenient to show the GRDDL process as a
> procedure, it is defined declaratively as a functional
> process and implementations may vary significantly from the
> steps shown above"

Sounds like a disclaimer. I'd prefer to revise the diagram for the next
draft.

> *** Referencing Via Profile Documents ***
>
> s/instructions/transformation instructions...? Or "processing
> instructions"?

Done for consistency, see above.

> Maybe add an italic note below this diagram, "As with the
> previous diagram, a typical implementation might not follow
> the procedure shown, for example the profile transformations
> may be cached locally".

See previous comment.

> *** Buying a Guitar Example ***
>
> "FoaF and vCard-RDF are both suitable sources to extract the
> data from. " => "FOAF and vCard/RDF are suitable expressions
> of the data."

Done, and converted FoaF to FOAF throughout.

> (Norm's hcard2rdf.xsl is linked from http://www.w3.org/2006/03/hcard)

Hmm. Should I present the two stylesheets as alternates?

> s/snippit/snippet

Done

> "XFN is the HTML friends network. Using values in the rel
> attribute..." => "XFN is the HTML friends network. Using
> values in the rel attribute of links..."

Done

> hCard link: http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard

Done

> s/FoaF/FOAF several times

Done

> s/URLs/URIs (*cough*)

Done

> "The Del.icio.us links..." => "For example, the del.icio.us link..." ?

Done

> "example.org" would probably be better more specific (and
> with http://)

Done

> s/marked-up/marked up

Done

> "We know that the profile page is Stephan's friend Peter by
> visual inspection, but a machine does not." - sounds clunky, reword..?

Done.

> "The first restriction on the data can be a pass on review
> data such as rating" => "The first restriction on the data
> can be a check (?) on review data such as rating."

Done.

> "This SPARQL result is in XML or JSON and can easily be
> consumed by another application." => something like "SPARQL
> results can appear in XML or JSON and can easily be consumed
> by another application."

Done

Thanks for the feedback!

Ian

The very latest from Talis
read the latest news at www.talis.com/news
listen to our podcasts www.talis.com/podcasts
see us at these events www.talis.com/events
join the discussion here www.talis.com/forums
join our developer community www.talis.com/tdn
and read our blogs www.talis.com/blogs
Visit Talis at this year's PLA Conference, 11-13th October 2006. We plan to showcase new product enhancements and unveil new initiatives.

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.