Re: Faithful Infoset (was RE: The xi namespace)

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Murray Maloney wrote:
> I assert that by dint of using XML with a DTD or Schema reference, the author
> has subscribed to those specifications. Using an infoset that only takes into
> account
> the bytes that are present in the document is unfaithful to the intent of the
> author.
> Similarly with XInclude.
>
> I guess what I am saying is that I believe that a GRDDL-aware processor has a
> duty
> to resolve all XIncludes in the document and either XML- or Schema-validate
> it.

> Even so, I think that it is incumbent on someone -- probably us/me -- to
> highlight a
> heightened potential for unfaithful renditions in the face of DTDs, Schemas
> and XIncludes.
> I suppose that XLink might also present a risk as well.

XLink doesn't but XInclude does and actually I went to see
what the distinction would be, if any:

[[[

1.1 Relationship to XLink

XInclude differs from the linking features described in the [XML Linking
Language], specifically links with the attribute value show="embed". Such
links provide a media-type independent syntax for indicating that a
resource is to be embedded graphically within the display of the document.
XLink does not specify a specific processing model, but simply facilitates
the detection of links and recognition of associated metadata by a higher
level application.

XInclude, on the other hand, specifies a media-type specific (XML into
XML) transformation. It defines a specific processing model for merging
information sets. XInclude processing occurs at a low level, often by a
generic XInclude processor which makes the resulting information set
available to higher level applications.

.]]]

XInclude is defined as a 'transformation', so it's problematic.  XLink has
more to do with visual presentation.

A local policy ( the same which might determine which transforms are
actually run ) might mandate to resolve all XIncludes, while another might
not. The host language assumes an open world assumption about it's 'facts'
so I cant imagine how the author would intend for it to be a legally
binding contract, even though it might be 'well-formed.'

> I will work on wording for a paragraph (hopefully that is all it will take).
>
> If anybody doesn't understand my position, please let me know. I can live
> with
> everybody disagreeing with how to handle the problem, but if you don't see
> how
> it is a problem then I would appreciate your help in working toward a better
> mutual understanding.

I see the problem as you put it, see above.  But perhaps a XLink /
XInclude caveat can be expanded for language which highlights the
increased possibility of an unfaithful rendition?

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation