Re: Scheduling use case

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 08:44 +0100, Ian Davis wrote:

> "Jack is trying to coordinate a meeting with his friends Robin, David
> and Kate. They each live in separate cities but often bump into each
> other at different conferences throughout the year. Jack wants to find a
> time when all of his friends are in the same city. Robin publishes her
> schedule on her home page using the hCalendar microformat. David
> publishes his in Embedded RDF using some RDF calendar properties and
> Kate uses a blog engine that encodes her diary as RDFa. Jack uses an
> online calendaring service that publishes an RSS 1.0 feed of his
> schedule. Jack writes a Sparql query that includes the three web pages
> and his own RSS feed in the FROM clause. The query looks for dates when
> all four friends are in the same city. Jack runs this query using his
> GRDDL-aware Sparql engine that fetches each web page and uses GRDDL to
> extract triples from each one, combining them into a single model
> against which the query is evaluated. Jack is delighted to find that all
> four of them will be at conferences in LA at the beginning of September
> and he immediately starts looking for restaurants to book for their
> night out."

Danny and I took an action...
  ACTION: DanC and Danja to flesh-out scheduling use-case

because the alternative was to prune this use case.

Now that I look at it, it's quite good. It mixes in SPARQL
nicely... a diagram would increase the impact quite a bit,
I think.

It's also a case where hCalendar isn't enough... although...
one could argue that if David and Kate just used hCalendar,
life would be simpler.

By the way, the SemWeb CG calendar has used GRDDL for a while;
in 2006, I switched the HTML markup from a local idiom to hCalendar.
  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/CG/#future

It's not exactly a showcase for GRDDL, because we actually
publish the corresponding RDF/XML, and, in fact, the .ics.

On the other hand, that data really is used; I use it
pretty regularly.

I have been thinking about using hCalendar for the schedule
of this WG.
  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/#sched
hCalendar can't express things like "sometime in Q1 2007",
though we could approximate it as March 31st or something.

It might be nice if the WG homepage had an .ics version
that WG members could use to tell when a meeting has
been rescheduled or canceled, but I usually allow myself
up to a week or two of latency on WG homepage updates
since email seems to be necessary and sufficient for
teleconference schedule exceptions, and having another
source of information that's out of date by even a day
or two makes for a mess.