Re: RDF Microformat Suite and Validation issues

On 8/15/06, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:

>     I'm just trying to compile a list of microformats and corresponding
> RDF vocabularies that we will have to create transformations for.

Looks a reasonable selection.

> I have mixed feelings about XFN, since it doesn't really map to FOAF,

Mixed feelings, yes. But it is quite widely deployed (I believe
WordPress outputs it by default) and unlike most of the other
microformats it does have stable profile URI. Maybe something could be
cobbled together using FOAF plus Ian's RELATIONSHIP schema [11]? (heh,
lots of relationships involve shouting...)

> and I also think that mapping hCard to FOAF is a bad idea, as so much
> information is lost.

Yep, Norm's vCard/RDF work [2] looks mighty promising, the old W3C
Note schema seems a bit clunky nowadays. I guess an additional
statement could be included to associated the hCard with a
foaf:Person, plus their EMAIL (foaf:mbox) and/or URL (foaf:homepage?)
for disambiguation.

 Do people wish to cover those? Do we wish to add on
> more microformats to our list of those to cover?

The selection looks about the right size to me.

> Second, I recently read an excellent paper that points out some problems
> with validation of microformats, and gives a pretty good analysis [10].

Norm's also done a good piece on this [12], as has Eric van der Vlist [13].

I was planning on having another crack at post-GRDDL Atom (Atom/OWL)
validation sometime soon (based on DL consistency checking plus Jena
rules), I suppose I should really try it on microformats too.

Cheers,
Danny.

[11] http://vocab.org/relationship/

--