  • From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:01:58 -0500
  • Subject: Re: profile attribute and conformance (copy-and-paste details)
  • To: Ryan King <ryan@theryanking.com>
  • Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Michael Smith <mike@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 10:23 -0700, Ryan King wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2008, at 7:54 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> > In general, having the URI at the top of the page source and the
> > microformat later in the body goes against the view source copy and
> > paste way of learning HTML and also goes against the restrictions of
> > blogging systems that allow people to paste stuff somewhere in the
> > body but not control the head of the page.
>
> To get around this issue, there's a proposal on the microformats wiki
> [1] that would allow profile URIs to be placed in the body.

That will probably work in a lot of cases, but consider something like:

  <h2>Exhibit A: the fraudulent check</h2>
   <dl class='hpayment'>
    <dt>Pay to the order of:</dt>
    <dd class="hcard">Ben Fraudster</dd>
    <dt>Amount</dt>
    <dd>$10,000</dd>
    <dt>rounting number</dt>
    <dd>...</dd>
    <dt>account number</dt>
    <dd>...</dd>
   </dl>
          "http://www.nccusl.org.example/edraft-profile">UCC electronic
draft</a>.

The check is quoted within another legal document. The author
of the outer legal document doesn't mean to offer payment
but to say "look at that check; it's bogus."

I expect this sort of thing is in the noise for upwards of 80% of
the cases, so I don't expect it to get much consideration
in the design of HTML 5.

But GRDDL was designed as a long-tail mechanism.
The GRDDL WG looked at a number of ways to push the profile
signal down from the top of the document to facilitate cut-and-paste
but found that each of them conflicted with the
"faithful rendition" requirement and postponed the issue.

http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#sec_rend

issue-tx-element: is there a way to push the grddl:transformation
attribute down from the document element to individual elements without
breaking the chain of authority?
POSTPONED 2007-01-17
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/issues#issue-tx-element

I had a tooth-brushing-thought about using visible icons somehow...
but I haven't really finished it...

> -ryan
>
> 1. http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-profile

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E