Re: GRDDL and HTML5

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 22:02 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the development of HTML5 we have made a simplification to the language
> that should help GRDDL usage be somewhat simpler: We have made the
> profile="" attribute on <head> unnecessary to declare new metadata
> keywords.

Please be clear who you're speaking for when you write "we".

The HTML WG has not made a decision regarding head/@profile

I gather you're speaking for yourself and your co-editor, Dave Hyatt.

> This means that GRDDL can now be simplified to not require an explicit
> declaration of profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view" before making
> the rel="transformation" keyword meaningful for GRDDL.

I'm not sure I understand...

I don't see "transformation" among the specified link types.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#linkTypes
nor in http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions

Does your suggestion presume that "transformation" gets
added to http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions?
(along with presuming that the use of the whatwg.org wiki
survives the HTML 5 spec review process)

> It also means that GRDDL can be simplified to not require that
> transformations look for a profile="" before making the class names
> supported. For example, an hCard document now no longer needs a profile=""
> attribute declared, instead the class="vcard" keyword always has meaning.

Where is that stated in the HTML 5 draft? What I see says that
the meaning of class values is up to the author, not up
to external communities:

"Authors may use any value in the class attribute, but are encouraged to
use the values that describe the nature of the content, rather than
values that describe the desired presentation of the content."
 -- http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#classes

> Thus, a GRDDL transformation for hCard no longer needs to be predicated on
> the profile="" attribute containing the right incantation.
>
> This is only relevant for HTML5 documents, and HTML5 won't be a REC for
> many years yet, so there is no rush here. This change doesn't affect HTML4
> documents. (Although, I would recommend making the change for HTML4
> document as well, since many authors already omit the profile="" attribute
> anyway.)
>
> Cheers,
gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E