Re: GRDDL and OWL/XML

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 17:26 +0200, Bijan Parsia wrote:
[...]
> > as prose isn't a "widely-supported format"...
>
> It's far more widely supported than XSLT. It's just not executable.

Prose isn't supported by any of the GRDDL-aware agents that
I've seen and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

I think it's straightforward to read "widely-supported" as
"supported by widely available GRDDL-aware agents".

> For executable formats, Javascript does *far* more DOM transforms
> client side (albeit not in GRDDL agents) than XSLT.

Javascript, XSLT, and XQuery are all reasonable candidates.
I'd like to see more work on Javascript support in GRDDL-aware
agents; it's somewhat unfortunate that other priorities
preempted figuring out the details of a javascript API
for GRDDL transformations; there was quite a bit of
experience to draw from in Piggy Bank.
 http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Piggy_Bank_Scrapers_Howto

But again, I'd be surprised if the OWL WG felt that
QA for a Javascript implementation was so much
easier to manage than QA for an XSLT implementation
that it made a difference in whether to deploy
and support it.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E