Re: Comments on GRDDL (using 3rd-party XML schemas with GRDDL) [OK?]

On 8 Aug 2007, at 20:10, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

> (But my experience suggests that "may not"
> can be ambiguous for some users between the meanings "must not"
> and "may or may not"; you might consider saying something like "it
> is possible that the result of applying the transformations identified
> in these schemas will not be a faithful rendition" or something like
> that.

Emphatically so.  I think the only people for whom this is _not_
ambiguous are those who have memorised RFC2119.  I'm a standards
junkie and I still get 'may not' the wrong way round (that is, I
always initially parse it as 'must not'[1]).

Perhaps it's a transatlantic thing, but I feel it would be a lot
clearer if 'may not' were avoided in careful prose, and replaced by
whichever of 'must not' and 'might not' is appropriate.  Or
periphrasis: `...may be an unfaithful rendition'.

Note that although 'must not' and 'should not' are described in
RFC2119, 'may not' isn't mentioned; I feel this is significant.

Best wishes,

Norman

[1] The use of 'may not' in this particular context happens to be
reasonably clear, but that doesn't subtract from the general point.

Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
eurovotech.org  :  University of Leicester, UK