Re: What about XQuery?

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 13:17 -0400, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I think it would be simple to change this to say "XSLT and XQuery are
>> specifically designed to express XML to XML transformations and has some
>> good safety characteristics" or add a sentence like: "XQuery, another
>> language designed specifically for such tasks, is not yet used in
>> existing GRDDL implementations."
>>

> OK, I salted to taste a bit:
>
> "While technically Javascript, C, or virtually any other programming
> language may be used to express transformations for GRDDL, XSLT is
> specifically designed to express XML to XML transformations and has some
> good safety characteristics; XQuery has similar characteristics to XSLT,
> though use of XQuery in GRDDL implementation is less widely deployed at
> the time of this writing."
>  -- GRDDL spec, editor's draft
>   http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#txforms
>   1.288  2007/07/19 21:21:00
>

>> P.S.,  as you probably guess, I'm not satisfied with your answer.
>>

> How about now?

As far as XQuery is concerned, I think this is good now, because XQuery
uses the same data model as XSLT, and it's easy to infer the details
from here. Thanks!

I'm not at all sure how GRDDL would expect a C or Javascript
implementation to work, given the general framework, and I can't quite
tell whether your text is trying to say that GRDDL supports any
language, or that these other languages aren't really directly suitable
so you don't try to offer support for them.  Saying one of these two
things more clearly would be helpful.

Jonathan