Re: Welcome to the community group on Bridging GraphQL and RDF

Hi all,

my name is Angelo Veltens and I am working as a Web Developer and IT
Consultant in Germany. During my studies I was enganged in Linked Data
and kept an interest beyond that. Currently I am active in the Solid
Community.

In my day job most people are not aware of Semantic Web technologies or
"heared of such at university" and consider it ancient / unpractical.

GraphQL got quite some attention among colleagues and customers. I think
mainly because of a very good tooling and developer experience. It's
easy to build an API going a clear, well documented path. This of course
comes with down-sides, which seam not to be considered very well
compared to the short-term gains.

Nevertheless in practice there are many use cases that do not require a
complex stack like SemWeb and that is where GraphQL comes in handy. I
think it's crucial to make technology easily available to developers. In
the end we are all human, take the easy path and have no time to dive
into scientific groundwork. So the latter has to be build into the tools
at hand by default. I imagine a tech that is as easy in day-to-day use
as GraphQL and at the same time does not block the path to going more
complex as soon as actually needed.

Kind regards
Angelo