Re: draft execution environment for WebGPU, including WebGPU env spec for SPIR-V

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 5:29 PM Filip Pizlo <fpizlo@apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2018, at 8:12 AM, Corentin Wallez <cwallez@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 5:10 PM Filip Pizlo <fpizlo@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 14, 2018, at 4:44 AM, Corentin Wallez <cwallez@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> To steal David's words, being secure is a property of the implementation
>> and not a property of the language. The language can just influences how
>> hard it is to make secure. The security properties outlined in that section
>> would need to be implemented both for whatever language we choose. For
>> example array clamping/trapping on OpAccessChain needs to happen the same
>> way it needs to happen for WHLSL array refs.
>>

>> That document doesn’t appear to even mention OpAccessChain.
>>
>> I think that for this document to match the level of detail that we have
>> in WHLSL, it would need to specify semantics for OpAccessChain in case of
>> OOB. I don’t think we want a spec that says “implementation will make this
>> secure by doing whatever it likes”.
>>
>> I respectfully disagree, the spec should focus on defining what secure
> means and not how it is implemented. If you want to see the implementation
> details you should read #33 SPIR-V Robust Resource Access
> <https://github.com/gpuweb/gpuweb/issues/33> as mentioned above and
> numerous times before.
>

> I’m not asking it to say how it is implemented. I’m asking that it says
> enough about semantics that developers targeting WebGPU know what behavior
> they are going to get and implementors of WebGPU can validate that they
> implemented something that conforms.
>
> I thought the group had agreed on something along the lines of the robust
resource behavior described in #33
<https://github.com/gpuweb/gpuweb/issues/33> plus potentially trapping. If
you feel we should focus on providing a definition of this in that repo,
feel free to open an issue.

> You need to be particularly specific with something like OpAccessChain.
> There needs to be some verbiage that says: if the index is in bounds then
> this happens, else one of these things happens. Just saying that something
> will happen so long as it’s secure doesn’t cut it.
>
> That section is meant to not be SPIR-V specific and basically says that
all memory accesses follow the robust resource behavior described. We could
have a non-normative section about what SPIR-V operations are memory
accesses. An issue would help prioritize it too ;)