Re: [DCAT] accessURLs vs downloadURLs

Hi Luke/all,

Thanks for the feedback and discussion. my input inline...
On 11 Nov 2013, at 15:37, Christopher Gutteridge <cjg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> My impression was that a downloadURL is the place you download the full document, and accessURL is an API endpoint like OAIPMH, SPARQL or SOAP.

yes

> On 11/11/2013 12:27, John Erickson wrote:
>> Thanks to Luke for the question and Richard for the response. I've
>> added some (also unofficial...) comments to Richard's answer to the
>> first question, below:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:
>>> (not an official working group response)

>>> I’d say no. I read the spec as saying that multiple downloadURLs indicate the same data in different formats.

The more common case is to have downloadURL pointing to the entire dataset. If this is not the case, then I'd say yes you can use multiple downloadURL.
Different formats go in different instances of dcat:Distribution this instance have its format described using dct:format or dcat:mediaType (and I'd also say only one format per distribution).

This sounds reasonable. Captured this into an issue at: https://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/70

>>> I would agree for any properties defined in the DCAT namespace. In particular, I note that the following properties don’t show an explicit domain, even though their description often implies that they only can be applied to a particular class of entities (catalog, dataset, distribution):
>>>
>>> themeTaxonomy
>>> theme
>>> keyword
>>> contactPoint
>>> accessURL
>>> downloadURL
>>> byteSize
>>> mediaType

The domain of these properties were not defined in the ontology because they can be of more use outside the scope of DCAT. e.g. one might want to use dcat:theme and dcat:keyword without imposing that the subject is of type dcat:Dataset.

>>> The ship may have sailed on all of these issues, given that DCAT is in CR stage and that the WG’s charter is running out...
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Richard

http://www.w3.org/ns/dcat.ttl should be up-to-date. Can you please indicate what doesn't match?

Best,