Re: Questions/Concerns about the Data Cube Vocabulary

Hi Mark,

On 10 Jul 2013, at 13:26, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> In OWL, properties and classes are disjoint, so…

This is a restriction of OWL 1 DL. It is not a restriction in RDF Schema, OWL 1 Full, or OWL 2. Reasoners built for any of these languages shouldn't have any problems with these assertions.

Data Cube expresses both data (qb:Observation and friends) and schemata (qb:DataStructureDefinition and friends). Thus, it is a metamodel. Metamodels like Data Cube cannot be expressed in OWL DL, and using DL reasoners on such metamodels is unlikely to provide useful results, as far as I can tell -- but I may have missed your use case.

In general, I think the benefits of using reasoners on data cubes are likely to be limited, due to the large size and shallow semantics of such data structures.

Best,
Richard