Re: dataset and Dataset

On 5 Apr 2013, at 12:37, Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org> wrote:
> I was told by non-Sem Web data modellers that the more general convention is that properties (data type properties) should be nouns and relationships (object type properties) should be verbs.

That's interesting. The only data modelling school that I'm aware of that can be said to more or less follow this convention is a Sem Web school -- Description Logics.

Among UML modellers, OO modellers, DB modellers and XML Schema modellers, nouns as relationships seem to be completely normal, and in fact more common than verbs.

So I'm not prepared to accept the claim made by your non-Sem Web data modellers without some evidence.

> And actually, isn't dcterms:hasPart sufficient for what dcat:dataset does anyway?

So is the proposal is to fold both dcat:dataset and dcat:record into one property dcterms:hasPart? I'd rather keep two separate properties for linking the catalog to its datasets and to its catalog records. It makes queries easier.

Also, conceptually, CatalogRecords certainly are part of the catalog, but I feel that DCAT shouldn't take a stance on the question whether the datasets themselves are “part of” the catalog. Use cases are common where the catalog only *describes* the datasets, but can't really be said to *include* them.

> The definition is "A related resource that is included either physically or logically in the described resource" which sounds rather like a dataset in a catalogue to me.

You have a specific conceptualization in mind here that isn't universal.

Best,
Richard