From: Ghislain Atemezing [mailto:auguste.atemezing@eurecom.fr]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:11 PM
To: Gillman, Daniel - BLS
Cc: rufus.pollock@okfn.org; public-gld-comments@w3.org; David Raznick; James Gardner; Maali, Fadi; Richard Cyganiak; Ross Jones
Subject: Re: Comments on DCat

Dear Dan,
Thanks for the clarification.
I will try to use the dcterms [1] classes and property to understang better this issue..

Other kinds of requirements will come up, too.  For instance, if there are relationships between meanings, those need to be adhered to in a system that makes use of the vocabulary.  It is hard to enumerate all the possibilities, because vocabularies come in many kinds.  However, I hope this gives you the flavor.
I will take the classe "Standard" and the property "conformsTo"
According to Dublin Core, a http://purl.org/dc/terms/Standard is "A basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated."
They also defines the relation http://purl.org/dc/terms/conformsTo as follow: "An established standard to which the described resource conforms.", with the class "Standard" as the range.
So IMO, if we agree that a given vocab (here DCAT) is a "Standard" (according to Dublin Core) to describe Data catalogs, maybe we have the answer that any provider describing the dataset according to the terms (even subset of the vocabs) and the semantics associated to them; "conformsTo" DCAT.

If DCAT could not be taken as a "Standard" here, then we should maybe find another word than "conformance".

Best,
Ghislain
[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/2012/06/14/dcmi-terms/

--

Ghislain A. Atemezing

2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.

e-mail: auguste.atemezing@eurecom.fr<mailto:auguste.atemezing@eurecom.fr> & ghislain.atemezing@gmail.com<mailto:ghislain.atemezing@gmail.com>

Tel: +33 (0)4- 9300 8178

Fax: +33 (0)4- 9000 8200

Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~atemezin