Re: 1.3 SDMX and related materials

Dave,

On 04/13/2012 10:24 AM, Dave Reynolds wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On 13/04/12 14:27, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>> Section 1.3 SDMX and related materials reads in part:
>
> Is there a URL for that?

I was quoting the draft,
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-vocab-data-cube-20120405/.  (My bad, the
"SDMX and related materials" is a title in the current draft, should
have so indicated.)

>>> There have been a number of important results from this work: two
>>> versions of a set of technical specifications - ISO:TS 17369 (SDMX) -
>>> and the release of several recommendations for structuring and
>>> harmonising cross-domain statistics, the SDMX Content-Oriented
>>> Guidelines. All of the products are available at www.sdmx.org
>>> <http://www.sdmx.org>. The standards are now being widely adopted
>>> around the world for the collection, exchange, processing, and
>>> dissemination of aggregate statistics by official statistical
>>> organisations. The UN Statistical Commission recommended SDMX as the
>>> preferred standard for statistics in 2007.
>>>
>>> The SDMX specification defines a core /information model/ which is
>>> reflected in concrete form in two syntaxes - SDMX-ML (an XML syntax)
>>> and SDMX-EDI. The Data Cube vocabulary builds upon the core of the
>>> SDMX information model.
>>>
>>> A key component of the SDMX standards package are the
>>> *Content-Oriented Guidelines* (COGs), a set of cross-domain concepts,
>>> code lists, and categories that support interoperability and
>>> comparability between datasets by providing a shared terminology
>>> between SDMX implementers. RDF versions of these terms are available
>>> separately for use along with the Data Cube vocabulary.
>
> Interesting.
>
>> There is an outstanding "todo" item to bring references into W3C style
>> but the quoted material is ambiguous as to which version of the SDML
>> specification defines the core information model that is being followed.
>> The references to the COGs are also vague.
>>
>> Suggest adding explicit references both in the text and in the
>> bibliography to specific versions of these documents.
>
> Good suggestion thanks. We will improve the SDMX references before the
> next release of the working draft. I have created a working group
> action item (ACTION-63) to track this.
>
>> Curious why the COG vocabularies, in RDF "versions" are not reported as
>> normative references?
>
> Because as far as I'm aware there are none that are normatively
> referencable.
>
> The only RDF versions of COG that I know of are the ones at:
>   http://purl.org/linked-data/sdmx/2009/concept#
>   http://purl.org/linked-data/sdmx/2009/dimension#
>   http://purl.org/linked-data/sdmx/2009/attribute#
>   http://purl.org/linked-data/sdmx/2009/measure#
>   http://purl.org/linked-data/sdmx/2009/metadata#
>   http://purl.org/linked-data/sdmx/2009/code#
>   http://purl.org/linked-data/sdmx/2009/subject#
>
> Whilst we made every effort to ensure those were faithful encodings of
> COG 2009 they have not been formally reviewed or approved by either
> sdmx.org or this working group [*] so I don't think they can be used
> normatively in the spec.
>
> Does you know if these are the RDF versions being referred to in the
> above quote?

No and that was why I asked.

 From above (and the draft):

> RDF versions of these terms are available
> separately for use along with the Data Cube vocabulary.

I don't know how to evaluate: "...available separately for use along
with..."

Could be a non-normative (informative) reference to helpful material.

> Please let us know if you are satisfied with this response.

Thanks, see comments above.

> Dave
>
> [*] I currently maintain those myself, which is why I'm cautious of
> claiming any formal official standing for them.

Sure, but then informative references, in a note for example.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau