Re: How can I declare that the coordinates I publish are only approximations?

Hello,

Significant figures could be problematic if the precision is on the left
side of the decimal point. In that case we have to use scientific
notation. That means that with XML-based data we need to check if the
coordinates are based on a data type that supports scientific notation.
I believe the types /xsd:float/ and /xsd:double/ support scientific
notation. I also believe that the /gml:pos/ element consists of
/xsd:double/s, so I think that any GML geometry using the currently
preferred way of using /gml:pos/ for coordinates can be written using
scientific notation. Whether all software handling the geometries can
handle scientific notation is another matter. I have little experience
with that, because luckily I never had to work with geometries where the
significant figures were on the left side of the decimal point. In that
case it is simply a matter of rounding the coordinates to the right
number of figures after the decimal point.

I also tried to check other means of encoding geometries in RDF. I think
WKT should also support scientific notation, but I could not find proof
in the time I spent on the matter. Encoding geometries as sequences of
other point geometries, as advocated by the neogeo vocabulary, should
also work with scientific notation because the individual coordinates
are of type/xsd:float/ in the W3C basic geo vocabulary.

Regards,
Frans