[geolocation-api] Alignment with Geo-alignment/GeoPose? (#130)

From: Rob Smith via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:07:56 +0000
To: public-geolocation@w3.org
rjksmith has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/geolocation-api:

== Alignment with Geo-alignment/GeoPose? ==
I'm contributing to a renewed effort to support [geographically-aligned orientation (or Geo-alignment)](https://github.com/immersive-web/geo-alignment) in user agents currently under way in the W3C Immersive Web group. This is primarily aimed at Extended Reality (XR) use cases, but overlaps with other areas such as [WebVMT](https://w3c.github.io/sdw/proposals/geotagging/webvmt/) for geotagged video. In addition, several of the group are involved in parallel work at the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) which is standardising [GeoPose (location and orientation)](https://github.com/opengeospatial/GeoPose/) for the geospatial community.

W3C Geolocation API [already supports 3D location and heading](https://w3c.github.io/geolocation-api/#coordinates_interface) which constitute four of the six degrees of freedom included in Geo-alignment and GeoPose, so this seems like a good moment to discuss ways in which to align our work given that we share a lot of common ground.

Please let me know whether this is of interest and who best to contact. Many thanks.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/geolocation-api/issues/130 using your GitHub account