Re: [geolocation-api] Require user activation to use API (#48)

From: Tom333Trinity via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 01:11:25 +0000
To: public-geolocation@w3.org
Just saw this in my Chrome console: -

    TravelManagerPolyfill.js:117 [Violation] Only request geolocation information in response to a user gesture.

I beseech you not to do this! You will break the Web and set the PWA cause back irrevocably.

Can I ask where the ground-swell of demand is coming from? Justification?

Will the "gesture" be required before/after the "Web-Site wants to access your geolocation" prompt? Instead of?

Before launching another Pol Pot "year zero" program, please engage with the Developer/Vendor community and be the least bit pragmatic enough to accept we are where we are. What exactly are you hoping to achieve: -

I've got a prompt that says "allow geolocation ok/cancel" then I add an onclick listener to cancel that says "you bewdy! I can now ask for geolocation" :-(

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Tom333Trinity
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/geolocation-api/issues/48#issuecomment-881790933 using your GitHub account