Re: [deviceorientation] Move fingerprintable APIs behind permissions (#85)

From: Reilly Grant via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 19:54:53 +0000
To: public-geolocation@w3.org
> To address the second problem, what do you think of limiting the precision of the relevant sensors? The authors suggest adding noise, but that would see to be difficult both implementation and useability wise. Simply caping the returned values to some max # of values / decimal points might be an easier-to-standardize, easier to reason-about option. WDYT?

I think it depends on how much precision needs to be removed. If the fingerprintable identifier is just above the noise floor for these sensors then we should be able to remove it without measurably impacting applications. In contrast, mitigating concerns in the Ambient Light Sensor API required  reducing precision significantly and thus required a deeper understanding of the use cases and how they would be affected.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by reillyeon
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/deviceorientation/issues/85#issuecomment-548085097 using your GitHub account