Re: Request for expressions of interest: revisiting the Geolocation API to make it promise compatible

On August 26, 2016 at 12:18:53 AM, Mandyam, Giridhar
(mandyam@qti.qualcomm.com) wrote:
> Hi All,
> Please note the issue filed on the Geolocation GH Repo: https://github.com/w3c/geolocation-api/issues/8.
>
> The suggestion is to refactor the Geolocation API to make it promise-based (as opposed
> to its current callback surface). This approach has been adopted by several recent W3C
> specifications.
>
> This email is a request for expressions of interest, particularly from potential implementers
> (but developer interest is also welcomed). Please provide feedback by September 2,
> 2016 (11:59 PM US Pacific time). All responses are welcome, but please try to answer a
> few basic questions if you are in favor of revisiting the API:
>

> a) Should the old API surface be deprecated?

No. But small aspects could be fixed.

> b) Should there be additional features/requirements added to the Geoloc. API? For instance,
> we had considered in the group at one time as to whether a hard requirement for secure contexts
> was necessary.

No.

> c) Will you provide an implementation? If so, can you provide an approximate timeframe
> for providing a first experimental implementation? {This timeframe could be with respect
> to any standards milestones, e.g. 6 months after the First Public Working Draft of the
> new Geoloc. spec.}

We (Moz) need a bit more time to work this out, as we need to see if
we can do it this quarter (we usually set/adjust new goals in the
first few weeks of each quarter).