Re: Proposal to add unit quaternion representation to the Device Orientation event.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014, at 16:13, Rich Tibbett wrote:
> It is just that nobody really does this right now. This is simply too
> complex for common use cases such as applying simple CSS-based
> transforms to on-screen objects.

Screen Orientation API isn't really widely available. Only Webkit
browsers exposed a buggy window.orientation (angle), IE and Firefox
expose a type (but no angle). The current Chrome Beta exposes a usable
screen.orientation.angle.

> It's just not feasible to expect *every web developer* to do that *all
> the time*. Whenever they don't do that the device orientation
> interaction will be broken.

What bothers me with this proposal is that it is assuming that
developers who wouldn't do a stack overflow search to know how to get
the correct matrix/quaternion would definitely think about using
.screenAlpha instead of .alpha from the DeviceOrientationEvent object.

-- Mounir