Re: [User Context] GeoLoc missing API for user justification in prompts

From: Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 11:34:55 -0700
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, "public-geolocation@w3.org" <public-geolocation@w3.org>, timeless <timeless@gmail.com>, Indie UI <public-indie-ui@w3.org>, "mandyam@quicinc.com" <mandyam@quicinc.com>
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>

Hey James,

A few years ago we discussed this exact problem at length.  It might be good to go back to the geolocation meetings and review.

> Your implication that this cannot be done or cannot be done well is very prescriptive and somewhat narrow-minded.

Yes it is.  I think this is on purpose.  Spoofing is a real concern and we don’t want to misrepresent what is happening.  When the UA asserts something, we want it to be absolute truth… not just what the webpage told us.  Bad sites would just say “Google Maps wants to know your location” — even when the site isn’t google.

> There are plenty of talented UI designers in the world that can make it clear whether a string of text comes from a *trusted* source or not, even if it's exposed somewhere inside or near other *trusted* UI.

Actually that is a really *hard* problem.  If you know of such designers, we are hiring. :)

Doug